Milan Public Library Card FAQs
Milan Public Library offers the following borrowing privileges:
- a Milan Public Library card for individuals who live in our service area. See #1 below.
- MILibraryCard privileges with a library card from another MILibraryCard-participating library. See #3 and #4 below.
- a student library card for students enrolled in kindergarten through twelfth grade in Milan Area Schools and who do not live in our service area. See #5 below.
- a Milan Public Library card for each individual in your household for an annual fee (if you live outside our service area). See #6 below.
1. Who may sign up for a FREE Milan Public Library card ?
You are eligible for a free card if you are at least 4 years old and live:
- inside the city limits of Milan
- in Augusta Township
- in the part of York Township that is in Milan Area Schools
- in the part of Pittsfield Township that is in Milan Area Schools
2. What do I need to do to get a library card?
If you are 18 or older, bring your photo ID and proof of your current address. If your current address is on your drivers license or state ID, that is all you need.
If you are 4 - 17, bring a parent or legal guardian with the adult's photo ID and proof of current address.
If you work in Milan (but don't live in our service area), bring photo ID, proof of your current address, and proof of full time employment in Milan (e.g. a pay stub).
If you own property in Milan (but don't live in our service area), bring photo ID, proof of your current address, and proof of ownership of property in the city limits of Milan.
3. What if I live in Monroe County (outside the Milan city limits)?
You may get a library card and MILibrary card sticker from any branch of the Monroe County Library System and then use that card to check out items from our library. See a list of their branches and contact information here and information about getting a card from Monroe County Library System here. Ask them for a MILibrary card sticker on your library card. Bring your Monroe County Library card with a MILibrary card sticker and the information in #2 above to use your card at our library.
4. What if I live somewhere else?
If your home library participates in the MILibrary card program, ask them for a MILibrary card sticker on your library card from them. Then bring your library card with the MILibrary card sticker to us and you may use it to check out items at our library. Follow the instructions in #2 above to use your card for the first time at our library.
See a list of libraries that participate in the MiLibrary card program here.
5. What if attend school in Milan Area Schools and do not live in your service area?
If you are enrolled in Milan Area Schools (in kindergarten through twelfth grade), you may receive a free student library card at Milan Public Library. In addition to the instructions in #2 above, please also bring proof of enrollment in Milan Area Schools (a report card or other official school document).
6. What if none of the above apply to me?
You may receive a library card for $100 per year per family. Everyone in your household will receive a Milan Public Library card and all of its privileges.
7. What can I check out with my library card?
With a Milan Public Library card, you can check out up to 30 total items with a maximum of:
4 fiction DVDs or videos
4 nonfiction DVDs or videos
Using a MILibrary card from another library, you can check out a maximum of:
6 print items (books and/or magazines)
2 audiovisual items (audiobooks, DVDs, and/or CDs)
Using a student library card from Milan Public Library, you can check out a maximum of:
3 print items (books and/or magazines)
1 audiovisual item (audiobook, DVD, or CD)
8. What else can I do with my library card?
Click here for more information about what you can do with your library card including renewals, reserves, borrowing eBooks and eAudiobooks, Michigan Activity Passes, MeL databases, interlibrary loan, and more.
If you have any questions, please call us at 734-439-1240 or email email@example.com .